Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Library Report-Introduction

I love reading. I love books. I want to instill that same love of reading and books in my son.

I currently live in California in a city that is slowly killing the public library. The excuse is budget deficit and recession.

This is the one resource throughout the year that all people can utilize and especially those hit hard by economic downturns. It is the refuge for those too poor to afford air conditioning in the summer. It is the source of reading hours and literacy growth for many. The library is where people can access online job boards and free internet. The books are lent for three weeks for FREE, unless of course you are like me and rack up late fees of 10 cents a day.

I do not understand how reducing the hours the library is open affects the budget in any way shape or form. How about cutting resources that do not directly affect the education, the support and the community connections that are so desperately needed in an economic downturn. The school system here is already horrible and for parents who want to help their children be the best students they can this is the one resource that is free and accessible.

I will be watching carefully the changes to public libraries around the country and in my own city. I will also be writing about the books my family checks out from the library and our reviews of those books.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

What a great idea! Looking forward to reading your book reviews.