Saturday, January 1, 2011

40 for Turning 40

I will be celebrating my 40th birthday in April. I'm trying to approach it with grace and excitement rather than age and dread.
I will be doing several events in 2011 to commemorate my 40th.

In the Library world I would like to read 40 books that I can get out of the library and that I have never read in 2011 and possibly by my 40th.

Here is where I've marked up my books read and ones that I haven't on the BBC List. The Modern Library List is another source for me.
Can you help me by making suggestions of books I should read?

I will review and thank each of you that give me a recommendation.

Here is to a great 2011 and turning 40

4 comments:

Melissa said...

A Tale of Two Cities and The Brothers Karamzov are two of my all-time favorite books. More recently I've really enjoyed The Help and Water for Elephants. Here's to a fabulous year!

Poists said...

Melissa,
THanks for the recommendations! I too loved The Help and Water for Elephants.
Your recommendations will be first on my list.

DrMarte said...

One of my favorite all-time reads, and I see it was just rereleased in 2009, is Five Smooth Stones by Ann Fairbairn, first published in 1966. I read it shortly after publication. It is an interracial love story in perilous times between a black man and a white woman. He grew up in poverty and eventually helps lead the civil rights movement. The title, of course, comes from the weapons David had to use against Goliath -- similar to peaceful marching against intransigent racism. David is also the main character's name. It is a novel, and I expect you would really like it.

Poists said...

Thanks Marte!
I will add it to my list. :)