Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Banned Book Week

It's banned books week. I love finding out what and why people have banned books. I remember from my youth hiding books from my teachers because they felt the books were inappropriate or too advanced or something else that I thought was equally dumb. Some of the books I remember reading and being told to not read or getting in trouble for...

1. Flowers in the Attic--Okay I now realize that it was a bit racy and harsh, but really banning it? Why not have a discussion about the topics.
2. Hitler Stole My Pink Bunny--This was a coming of age story about two friends in Germany (one Catholic and one Jewish) dealing with the war and the restrictions. Not sure why it was deemed inappropriate but it dealt with a ton of great issues for me.

This list of banned books makes me laugh. I've read far to many of these books and truly do not understand why someone would keep from reading these. Remember "If we do not remember our history, we are doomed to repeat it."

Here are some of the banned/challenged books that Wylie (my almost 4 year old) has enjoyed:
1. Wind in the Willows--I mean really what is so offensive or horrible about this book?
2. Winne the Pooh--WHAT ON EARTH CAN BE BAD ABOUT THIS????
3. Charlotte's Web-Again, is the offense of this book that animals can talk?
4. The Wonderful Wizard of Oz--remember it's fantasy

Here are the books that are on the list that I really think should be banned because reading them is absolutely a miserable experience (keep in mind that I have problems reading Henry James)
1. Lord Jim
2. The Sound and the Fury
3. Naked Lunch
4. The Bostonians

So take some time today and read a banned book. You might just learn something new!

For those of you who think the books listed might have a reason, keep in mind Harry Potter books make the top ten almost every year.

No comments: