Reading is a big part of our life as is the library. Video games have not taken over Wylie's reading time nor has homework taken over.
2015 represented a year in which we faced many challenges with finding appropriate reading material for Wylie. He was reading at a much higher grade and comprehension level, yet appropriate subject matter and content was tough to find.
We relied on our local library to give us the access to tons of books that may or may not be interesting. Wylie self-selected to reading non-fiction books on particular topics of interest to him and fiction books that were semi-interesting to him. The librarians were incredibly helpful in recommending fiction books as well as helping Wylie navigate the library to go peruse the aisles of interest.
A blog that I notice (Literary Mama) posted a Reading Challenge for 2016. Wylie and I decided we are going to try to do this challenge which should be interesting.
Here is that challenge...
Read the following in 2016:
1. A book published in 2016
2. A book you can finish in one day
3. A book you've been meaning to read
4. A book recommended by your local librarian or bookseller
5.A book you should have read in school (Wylie is opting to make this a book suggested by school)
6. A book chosen for you by your spouse, partner, parent, sibling, child or best friend
7. A book published before you were born
8. A book that was banned at some point
9. A book you have previously abandoned
10. A book you own but have never read
11. A book that intimidates you
12. A book you have read at least once.
This should make for a book a month and an interesting year!