Thursday, November 11, 2010

How Easy is That?


I "met" Ina Garten today. She was signing her newest book "how easy is that?" at the Santa Monica Williams-Sonoma. The book is fabulous. Lots of good basic easy and yummy recipes. I got into line at 1pm and had my book signed at 2:40pm. I left a bit disappointed.
While waiting in line, I took the time to process what I feel was poor management by Williams-Sonoma. Here are the ways I would have changed the process:
1. Have to book available to purchase in advance of the signing. There was a requirement that the book be purchased at that particular Williams Sonoma in order to get it signed. They did not have copies of the book until today.
2. If copy of the book must be purchased at the signing, make the line for purchasing the book only for purchasing the book and have it connected with the line to get it signed. Otherwise it gets tedious waiting in two lines. Very tedious.
3. If you are only going to have the signing for two hours, limit the number of people in line, make it be reservation or be willing to have the signing last longer than two hours. The assembly line signing doesn't make for a very enthusiastic reader. At least allow the purchaser 1 minute to say hello and have the book personalized.
4. Communicate and work with the surrounding shops that will be dealing with the line that snakes 2 blocks through prime retail area in Santa Monica. Encourage the people waiting in line to be courteous to the shops as well as encourage the shops to offer samples to the people waiting in line. Kiehl's (three blocks away) kept sending their employees down the street to offer samples to all the women waiting in line. I scored a few fun moisturizers. I also scored a free sample of Pinkberry. The Kiehl's shop and the Pinkberry shop were chock full of women with their Williams Sonoma bags with the book from Ina. The shop that wrote "KEEP CLEAR" on the sidewalk by their front door and the tables outside--WAS EMPTY.
5. Finally, I would have made sure to be highlighting items that could be purchased in conjunction with the book. This is gift season. I would have had a few of the items in the book made and offering samples. I also would have highlighted some towels or something from the book that was for sale. I would NOT have everyone who just spent $35 or higher and was waiting in line ushered in the back of the store and then promptly ushered out the front of the store. I would have liked to browse.

Okay so the book is great. The process not so much.
How Easy is That? Not Very

No comments: