Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Emerson Prompt: Five Years

Five Years


"There will be an agreement in whatever variety of actions, so they be each honest and natural in their hour." – Ralph Waldo Emerson

1. What would you say to the person you were five years ago?
2. What will you say to the person you’ll be in five years?

I could be scared. I could go on for ages about this one. I could say lots of things but I think it comes down to what I told myself throughout the five years that I just lived through.
 
I would tell myself the following:
You are about to live through the most amazing adventure that is just 1/8th of your life time by the time you are done with it. It may seem like it won't end at times and seem like you won't survive at times. Remember the three things that have always been true that your mother taught you at an early age.
a) You will survive because you are strong but you need to ask for help
b) It won't be easy and it will be fun at times and it will be hard. Try to learn, forgive and move through it.
c) Save some money
 
I would say to the person I will be in the next five years is more a series of questions rather than statements:
Is there where I really thought I would end up? Do you still remember when Wylie was on the verge of being in kindergarten and how intently we worried about his education?
You are still beautiful and kind and wonderful. Five years ago you were in the middle of an evolutionary period and you still are.

No comments: