Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Prompt: DARE TO BE BOLD or in this case a little Mello

Dare to be bold


Our arts, our occupations, our marriages, our religion, we have not chosen, but society has chosen for us. We are parlour soldiers. We shun the rugged battle of fate, where strength is born. – Ralph Waldo Emerson

“Next to Resistance, rational thought is the artist or entrepreneurs worst enemy. Bad things happen when we employ rational thought, because rational thought comes from the ego. Instead, we want to work from the Self, that is, from instinct and intuition, from the unconscious.

A child has no trouble believing the unbelievable, nor does the genius or the madman. Its only you and I, with our big brains and our tiny hearts, who doubt and overthink and hesitate.” - Steven Pressfield, Do the Work

The idea of “being realistic” holds all of us back. From starting a business or quitting a job to dating someone who may not be our type or moving to a new place – getting “real” often means putting your dreams on hold.

Today, let’s take a step away from rational thought and dare to be bold.
1. What’s one thing you’ve always wanted to accomplish but have been afraid to pursue?
2. The obstacles in your way of reaching your goal.
3.The Tangible plan to overcome each obstacle.

The only thing left is to, you know, actually go make it happen. What are you waiting for?


The above image is what I have always wanted to accomplish and NO I didn't want to build one!

I have always wanted to learn the cello. Always. I love the tone, the intensity, the melancholy mixed with fire sounds it can make and how they never sound the same from one instrument to the next. You need to find the one that matches you. I have ALWAYS wanted to learn. Did you get that?!
The obstacles I faced were in waves and mostly I could have overcome them but other opportunities that are paving/paved the way for learning the cello came along.
As a child: My parents did not want a stringed instrument other than the piano in the home which is not to say I didn't have other instruments to learn (tin whistle, coronet, french horn). I also had dancing which took up three days a week.
As a teenager: I was into marching band learning the mellophone (marching french horn), theater, art club, drafting club as well as being a teenager. I also had dancing which took up two days a week. The grade school and high school did not have an orchestra so I had no outlet.
As an adult: I admit I was scared. It was one of those things I really wanted to do but just couldn't get past the "I'm [insert current age] and the cello takes years to learn and master, I'd just be a hack on my own without a group to enjoy the amazing smash together of sound that creates the music that develops the personality of the cello." Was I scared or what? I also faced the obvious obstacles of money, ownership/rental, finding a teacher, etc.

As for developing a tangible plan. This feels too simple, too easy but this must be the rational taking over by saying "Go google a music shop, find a teacher, rent an instrument, learn. It is what you did when you decided to run a marathon..." So here is my plan:
1. Listen to some great cello solos with Wylie. See how he reacts and how I react.
2. Visit local music shops to scope out class prices, rental costs and teacher quality.
3. Check out the local community college to see if they have beginner classes that might get me into a beginner group or something like that.
4. Go tot he library and find a book on the histroy and development of the cello for both me and for Wylie. Heck if I am learning so will he.
5. Take a trial class and see if it feels as magical as I expect?!



No comments: