Friday, June 3, 2011

The Trust 30 Project

My library time has greatly diminished with my commute time having gone up significantly. I decided I will work on the trust 30 project and post here. To learn more about Ralph Waldo Emerson's Project go here.


Day 1:


We are afraid of truth, afraid of fortune, afraid of death, and afraid of each other. Our age yields no great and perfect persons. – Ralph Waldo Emerson


You just discovered you have fifteen minutes to live.

1. Set a timer for fifteen minutes.


2. Write the story that has to be written.


Here is my Fifteen Minutes
I start simply with ...
It is late afternoon and I am on the train home from Baltimore listening to the familiar cling kaching that indicates our departure from the station. The first I heard it I thought it was one of the many art or music students playing on their iPhones. I was wrong. It was at first annoying and now it is comforting. There are many times I am wrong and many I am right. The days, weeks, months and years when right and wrong aren't part of the conversation are much more numerous. I do know this and do remember this always. It is the ability to move in those days taking 1, 3 and even 5 glorious minutes to just observe the world around without right or wrong as part of the internal conversation with myself or others that I love. I may or may not know the back story but I do know what my brain and heart are thinking. I make up the story  and chose to just observe not judge. Sometimes I am surprised. Everyone should remember to take the time to observe.

I can see the contrails in the sky white against the blue and wonder if Wylie would point out that the passing cloud makes an X that marks the spot, which of course would make me wonder and then ask "What is it marking?"

I have five minutes left and now need to write the big stuff. There are a few things I firmly want to be in place forever.
1. Hand written letters-A signature, a quick note, the thought of pen to paper with a stamp means more than an email or text. Trust me.
2. Books are the key to the world. -Reading lets you travel, explore, see, hear, taste and smell worlds beyond. It is a ticket unlike any other. Taste the flavor of African nations, smell the market in India, hear the dialect of ancient Greece. Learn Klingon

Wylie- You are my greatest creation and my proudest moment always. I will love you forever and always.
Wyatt-You love me as I evolve even when I don't love myself. I am forever lucky to have someone willing to live with my evolution.

No comments: